- It is estimated that 90% of all adult males shave at least once a day;
- Men spend an average of 5 months of their lives shaving;
- It is also estimated that a man will shave at least 20,000 times in his lifetime;
- The average American male begins to shave between 14 – 16 years of age;
- Black people have more body hair than Asians, but Whites have more than Blacks;
- Shaving, tweezing or waxing does not cause hair to grow back thicker or fuller;
- Your hair grows in response to individual biochemistry and hormones. Heredity, genes, race, medications taken, physical and mental stress, and diet influence these hormones;
- Your skin is subject to changes in its resiliency and thickness because of temperature, humidity, diet and stress. this can affect shaving;
- Using a razor with a pivoting head allows you to shave better and smoother over and around bony places, curves, bumps and other angles of the face & body;
- Some swear that a single blade razor is less irritating to use, but a double blade razor with an aloe strip will technically give you a better, closer shave; and
- Most shaving accidents are caused by using dull and/or dirty razor blades, insufficient preparation of the skin and hair before shaving, and using inappropriate equipment and products.
Shaving Terminology and Definitions
What you may experience after shaving improperly; red, irritated skin with bumps, or rashly looking skin. You can avoid this by not pressing down too much with your razor blade when you shave. Razor burn can also be caused by dull razor blades, harsh soap, and shaving products containing high amounts of alcohol.
PSEUDO FOLLICULITIS BARBAE (PFB)
The scientific name for razor burn. This is classified as an extreme skin disease caused by shaving. The only known cure of PFB is to stop shaving altogether. This condition occurs more often in black than white men.
This happens with an individual hair follicle reverses itself and grows back under the skin instead of outward and away from the skin. Often, a pimple will arise. If ingrown hair is not treated, it can become infected and create scarring.